Wednesday 7 January 2015

Canvas Stretching


Canvas after the first layer of glue

Although I'd had the opportunity during my Foundation course, I'd never stretched a canvas before, so I was pretty excited to learn. I'll share the process we used, mainly for my own personal use to look back on.

  1. Cut the wood to your desired length, with each separating cut at an angle to allow each piece to easily slot together to make a square. We used a wood cutter that I've not forgotten the name of, helpful I know.. but you pressed down on a lever with your foot to cut through the wood, involving a lot of jiggling and jumping at some points (which was not pleasant first thing in the morning when you're severely hungover!)
  2. Cut thinner strips of dowel to the same lengths. The dowel we used had two flat edges and one curved. These will be attached to the frame to keep the canvas slightly lifted above the framework.
  3. Line up your frame pieces into the desired shape, apply glue to each of the newly cut edges and keep in place with a metal corner clip. Staple the wood together using an air staple gun.
  4. Line up the dowel strips on top of the frame, in line with the outer edges. Glue these to the frame and use an air nail gun to secure.
  5. Cut the canvas to an area larger than your canvas, to allow for some to be folded behind and attached.
  6. Lay the frame on top of the canvas, dowel side down. Fold the canvas around the frame, making sure the edges are tight and have no bulges. Air staple into place.
  7. Paint on a layer of rabbit glue or acrylic primer to finish and tighten the canvas. Allow to dry and repeat the process.
I opted to use the rabbit glue and although it smelt somewhat questionable, it felt nice to be using traditional methods on my frame that have been used for years. Unfortunately I went a little wrong with the folding of my canvas and ended up with a lump on one corner which I had to staple down, but as long as it's hung with that side at the bottom or top it's not noticeable.


Underneath of the canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment